Hurricane Nicole: Essential information for St . Augustine, St . Johns County – WOKV
ST . AUGUSTINE, Fla. — As Hurricane Nicole approaches the East Coast of Florida, city leaders continue to collaborate with local and state agencies as they track and monitor for any potential impacts.
- The National Storm Center issued storm surge and tropical storm warnings with regard to St . Johns County’s beaches, Intracoastal waterway, and the St . Johns River.
- St . Johns County has issued a voluntary evacuation effective at 7 a. m. on Wednesday, Nov. 9 , regarding coastal St . Johns County. For evacuation information, including route maps and expulsion zones, please visit www.sjcfl.us/hurricane .
- All offices and departments of the St . Johns Region Board of County Commissioners will close Wednesday, Nov. 9, starting at noon and Thursday, Nov. 10.
- The St Augustine Municipal Marina is currently closed and will reopen once weather conditions allow.
- St . Johns County has suspended household garbage, recycling, and yard debris collection schedules on Thursday, November. 10, with normal service resuming Friday, Nov. 11.
- All St . Johns County Parks & Recreation parks and facilities will close Wednesday, Nov. 9, at noon and Thursday, Nov. 10.
More Information – Updated Wednesday, Nov 9 at 4 p. m.
Have evacuations been ordered?
St . Johns State issues voluntary evacuation intended for coastal St . Johns County
City providing sandbags to prevent flooding
St Johns County is providing free sandbags starting at ten a. m. on November. 8, 2022, at three locations throughout the County in preparation for Hurricane Nicole. The sand and the bags provided are free of charge. Residents must provide their transportation and shovels and are responsible for filling their bags. There is a maximum allocation of 20 bags per person. The sand and bags are available between 10 a. m. and 5 p. meters. on Tuesday, Nov. 8, and beginning at 8 a. m. on Wed, Nov. 9, until weather permits.
- Windswept Acres Park – 5335 SR A1A South
- North Beach Park – 3721 Coastal Highway
- Palm Valley – Underneath the Palm Valley Bridge on the east side of the Intracoastal Waterway
Schools and district offices will close on Thursday, Nov. 10, and Friday, Nov. 11, in observance of Veterans Day.
All offices and departments of the St . Johns County Board of County Commissioners will close Wednesday, Nov. 9, starting at noon and Thursday, Nov. 10. Government offices are closed Friday, Nov. 11, in observance of Veterans Day time. The same closures also apply to the government offices of the City of St . Augustine. The St . Augustine Municipal Marina is currently closed and will reopen once weather conditions allow.
All St . Johns Region libraries, bookmobiles, and book drops will close Wednesday, Nov. 9, at midday and Thursday, Nov. 10. Libraries are closed Friday, Nov. 11, in observance of Veterans Day. Operational decisions beyond Friday will be determined based on weather conditions.
Changes to public transportation
St Johns County Council upon Aging Sunshine Bus service will be suspended Thursday, November. 10, for the duration of the weather event. For Sunshine Bus updates, please visit www.sunshinebus.net or call customer service at 904-209-3716.
Beaches plus Parks
All St . Johns State Parks & Recreation parks and facilities will close Wednesday, Nov. 9, at noon and Thursday, Nov. 10. This includes but is not limited to athletic playing fields, passive parks, boat ramps, playgrounds, fishing piers, and the St . Johns County Golf Course. Beachfront parks and walkovers will also be closed during this time. Parks in addition to facilities will reopen when safety inspections have been completed and weather conditions allow. Beach driving on all St Johns County beaches happens to be restricted.
Emergency shelters open
St . Johns County will open two shelters starting at 1 p. m. on Wed, Nov. 9. The county is prepared to open additional shelters as needed. The following shelters will be open to the public:
- Health and Human Services Department (Special Medical Needs)
- 200 San Sebastian View, St . Augustine
- Solomon Calhoun Community Center (General Population and Pet-Friendly)
- 1300 Duval Street, St . Augustine
Additional suggested items include the following:
- At least a five-day supply of medications, insulin, and a cooler if you are diabetic
- Personal grooming and hygiene items, feminine supplies
- Extra clothing, eyeglasses
- Books, magazines, cards, games, etc .
- Pillows, blankets, sheets, lawn chair/chaise lounge
- Flashlight and extra batteries, manual can opener
- Personal identification/important papers
IMPORTANT PHONE NUMBERS
For additional information, please call the St . Johns County Emergency Management Citizen Information Line at 904. 824. 5550.