Hit the Road: COLAtoday’s summer road trip series | COLAtoday – COLAtoday
Summer — the season of neighborhood cookouts, popsicle juice dripping down sticky fingers, and road trips. Call us car-zy, but this season brings an abundance of nostalgia, especially when it comes to driving down the highway while blasting The Proclaimers’ “I’m Gonna Be.”
That’s why we’re excited to kick off Hit the Road. In this summer road trip series, we will feature three destinations throughout June, July, and August — each with its own theme. We’ll be talking outdoor adventures, 30-mile getaways, and something for the foodies.
Before you pack your bags, here are some of our recommendations to prepare locally:
🥤 Stock up on road trip essentials
Swing by one of these Soda City spots to stock up on snacks, drinks, and coffee to minimize your stops during the road trip.
- Blūm, 2824 Devine St. | The Devine Street coffee shop celebrated its third anniversary yesterday + released its summer flavors. We recommend swirling coconut flavoring into your cold brew to kick off vacay with tropical vibes.
- Morganelli’s Party Store, 3155 Forest Dr. | A local staple since 1973, Morganelli’s is one of the longest continuous ABC operations in Columbia. Wine not snag some spirits on the way out of town to support local from afar? Enjoy an SC-made Yachtail Sparkling Cocktail that comes in grapefruit, pineapple, and cranberry flavors.
- Rosewood Market, 2803 Rosewood Dr. | Visit the grab-n-go deli for a fresh road trip lunch or scour the isles for not your run of the mill car snacks. If you’re in a rush, order ahead with a grocery curbside pickup for some staple items.
- Bonus: Grab a fun road trip game at Mast General Store (1601 Main St.)
🎶 Create a road trip playlist
Check out these local artists + add some of their tunes to your road trip rotation.
🚘 Get your car ready
Check the fluids + car battery. If you notice anything out of the ordinary or need a last-minute oil change before you go, head to one of these local car shops.
- Complete Car Care, 1628 Gervais St. | Head to this local shop if you need help with auto repairs, brakes, tires, or just need preventative maintenance. It also shares tips + advice for generic car care.
- Kestner Automotive, 764 W Main St., Lexington | Click here to see all of the services it offers and see how each service is performed with its service videos.
- On The Road Again, LLC, 1401 Frink St., Cayce | On The Road Again is a family owned + operated full-service mechanic shop. Opt-in to its text services so you don’t miss deals and exclusive offers.
- Bonus: Find the cheapest places to fill up your gas tank.
🐶 Don’t forget about fido
Be sure to line up accommodations for your pet while you’re away. Reach out to one of the many local pet sitters or pet boarding facilities. Here are a few: