Best Pet Insurance in Alabama (2022 Guide) – MarketWatch
In this article: Top Pet Insurance Companies | Types of Pet Insurance | How To Choose | Conclusion | FAQs | Methodology
Whether you’re playing with your pup at Remy’s Dog Park in Birmingham or cozying up with your cat at home, you are always looking out for your furry family member’s health and safety. Enrolling in a pet insurance policy may bring you peace of mind that you can afford veterinary treatment for your pet in case of injury or illness.
To help you choose the best provider, we at the Home Media reviews team compared and analyzed the top pet insurance companies in the nation. We then evaluated the best The state of alabama pet insurance providers from Huntsville to Montgomery based on their plans, deductibles, waiting periods, coverage limits and more.
Alabama’s 7 Top Pet Insurance Companies
Here are Alabama’s seven best pet insurance companies, based on our research:
Coverage: Lemonade offers one accident-and-illness plan that covers vet care costs related to sickness or injuries. Most accident-and-illness policies, including Lemonade’s, cover diagnostic testing, hospitalization, surgery, emergency care, prescription medications and more.
Elective procedures, cosmetic procedures, dental care and behavioral treatments are excluded from coverage. Lemonade (like all dog insurance providers) does not cover preexisting conditions, which are illnesses or injuries of which symptoms were present before protection began. Conditions that arise during the waiting period — 14 days for illnesses and two days for accidents — are also excluded.
With Lemonade, you can extend your basic coverage with add-ons for preventive care, physical therapy, dental illness, end-of-life care and vet visits for a nominal monthly fee.
Average premium price: Below are average costs of Lemonade pet insurance premiums for 4-year-old, mixed-breed dogs and cats in Montgomery, Ala., with different deductibles, reimbursement rates and coverage limits
- Dogs: $18–$32 per month
- Cats: $11–$19 per month
Get a quote: Get a free quote for your furry family member with Lemonade’s online quotation tool .
To learn more: Lemonade Pet Insurance review
Coverage: Spot is our choice for the provider with the most customizable plans. Spot offers pet owners an accident-only or accident-and-illness plan with multiple options for deductibles, reimbursement rates and insurance coverage limits.
The accident-only strategy covers costs for your pet’s broken bones, bite wounds, sprains, toxic ingestions and much more. The accident-and-illness plan covers all of the above, plus ailments and conditions including cancer, infections, diabetes and heart disease.
Spot also covers exam fees, alternative treatments, behavioral therapy and microchipping in its standard plan, which other providers do not typically offer in their base plans. In addition , Spot offers a preventive care add-on at two levels: Gold, which covers up to $250, and Platinum, which covers up to $450 in various routine care services.
Average premium price: Using Spot’s online quote tool, we determined its average monthly accident-and-illness premiums based on 4-year-old, mixed-breed dogs and cats in Montgomery, Ala., with varying coverage limits, reimbursement rates and deductibles:
- Dogs: $16–$129 per month
- Cats: $9–$76 per month
Get a quote: Visit Spot’s website to get a free, customized family pet insurance quote.
To learn more: Spot Pet Insurance coverage review
Coverage: Trupanion provides one comprehensive accident-and-illness program with no coverage cap and a 90% reimbursement rate. Customers can also choose the per-incident deductible they want to pay, with options ranging from $0 to $1, 000. Unlike other providers with annual deductibles, Trupanion’s per-incident deductible structure means you only pay a new insurance deductible when your pet has a new illness or injury, rather than every year.
Trupanion’s plan addresses treatments and services related to your pet’s accidents, injuries and conditions, including hospitalization, surgery, prescription medication and prosthetic devices.
Trupanion offers three add-ons to its standard plan: the Recovery and Complementary Care package, which covers alternative treatments; the Pet Owners Assistance bundle, which covers costs with regard to incidents outside the vet’s office, such as reward money regarding missing pets; and a breeding add-on, which covers health problems, injuries or emergencies connected to breeding or birthing intended for dogs and cats.
Average premium price: To give you an idea of the monthly expenses of a Trupanion plan, we averaged quotes for 4-year-old, mixed-breed dogs and cats in Montgomery, Ala., with varying deductibles:
- Dogs: $22–$78 per month
- Cats: $15–$43 per month
Get a quotation: Check out Trupanion’s website for a free insurance estimate for your faithful companion.
Coverage: Fetch by The Dodo gives one accident-and-illness plan. As our pick for the best treatment coverage, Fetch uniquely covers therapies, treatments and conditions that its competitors don’t, including the following:
- Behavioral therapy
- Breed-specific conditions
- Comprehensive dental care
- Physical therapy
- Chiropractic care
The customizable accident-and-illness plan presents pet owners three options for deductibles, payouts and reimbursement prices. Fetch does not offer an option for wellness or preventive care.
Average premium cost: All of us gathered multiple quotes from Fetch and found that its premiums for older pets were higher than some other providers’. Below are monthly cost averages from Fetch based on 4-year-old, mixed-breed dogs and cats inside Montgomery, Ala., with varying annual deductibles, reimbursement rates and coverage limits:
- Dogs: $20–$45 per month
- Cats: $20–$26 per month
Get a quote: Visit Fetch’s website plus “fetch” a free pet insurance quote today.
To learn more: Fetch by The Dodo Pet Insurance review
Coverage: Embrace offers one accident-and-illness policy that will covers diagnostic testing, medications, exam fees, surgical procedures and emergency care. Additionally , Embrace will cover treatment for problems such as cancer, allergies, congenital conditions, dental trauma (up to $1, 000 per year), orthopedic conditions, genetic conditions and more.
Although Embrace does not cover preexisting circumstances, the provider will consider whether a condition is curable or not. For example , if your pet suffers from an illness before insurance begins but remains symptom-free for one year, Embrace will cover that condition in the future should it recur.
Embrace also offers a Wellness Reward plan that reimburses 100% of your pet’s routine care services such as vaccinations, grooming, microchipping, spay or neuter surgical treatment, and flea, tick plus heartworm prevention.
Average premium price: Below are sample monthly premiums from Embrace based on quotes for 4-year-old, mixed-breed cats and dogs in Montgomery, Ala., with various deductibles, reimbursement levels and coverage limits:
- Dogs: $17–$48
- Cats: $10–$28
Note: Senior pets aged 15 years or older are only eligible for Embrace’s accident-only policy.
Get an estimate: Fill out Embrace’s online form to get a free pet health insurance quote.
To learn more: Embrace Pet Insurance policy review
Coverage: Healthy Paws has one standard accident-and-illness policy that offers unlimited coverage, two reimbursement options and two deductible options. Coverage includes prescription medication, hospitalization, surgery and malignancy treatment, plus congenital, chronic and hereditary conditions. Healthy Paws also covers alternative treatments in its base strategy, such as chiropractic care, physical therapy, acupuncture and hydrotherapy.
Healthy Paws does not cover up preexisting conditions, including those that arise during the 15-day waiting period for accidents plus illnesses. It also excludes hip dysplasia coverage within the first 12 months of enrollment. There is no routine or wellness treatment add-on available.
Average high quality price: Health Paws’ monthly rates for 4-year-old, mixed-breed monkeys and horses in Montgomery, Ala., are as follows:
- Dogs: $28–$37
- Cats: $13–$17
Note: If your pet is six years old or younger, Healthy Paws requires a good exam from a licensed veterinarian for your plan to take effect.
Get a quote: Retrieve your free Healthy Paws dog insurance quote .
To learn more: Healthy Paws Pet Insurance review
Protection: ASPCA Pet Health Insurance lets pet parents choose between the Accident-Only Coverage Plan and the Complete Coverage Plan. The accident-only plan is best for those who want coverage for emergencies, accidents or unexpected injuries, such as broken bones, cuts and bite wounds. The Complete Insurance coverage Plan is comparable to an accident-and-illness plan and covers hereditary conditions, behavioral issues, cancer, hip dysplasia, infections and more.
ASPCA offers a preventive care add-on at fundamental and premium levels. Preventative Basic provides up to $250 annually and covers a wellness exam, deworming, dental cleaning and a rabies vaccination. Preventative Prime provides up to $450 annually and adds coverage for flea plus heartworm prevention, a spay and neuter procedure, urinalysis, a blood test and more. The standard plan and preventive add-ons exclude coverage to get preexisting conditions, cosmetic procedures and breeding costs.
Average superior price: Using ASPCA’s online quote tool, we got average pet insurance premiums for 4-year-old, mixed-breed dogs and cats in Montgomery, Ala., with varying deductibles and reimbursement levels:
- Canines: $26–$90
- Cats: $15–$55
Get a quote: Complete ASPCA’s online type to get a pet insurance coverage quote today.
To learn more: ASPCA Pet Insurance plan review
The Bottom Line: Which Is the Best Pet Insurance Company in Alabama?
A pet insurance policy can bring you peace of mind that you’ll be able to afford your fuzzy friend’s vet bills when the unexpected happens. Before enrolling, consider the policy aspects that are most important to you. We compared and analyzed Alabama family pet insurance providers and found Lemonade to be the most cost-effective while offering multiple coverage options. For comprehensive, unlimited coverage, you may want to consider Healthy Paws or Trupanion .
Pet insurance costs and coverage options vary across providers, so we always recommend that pet owners obtain at least three pet insurance quotes to compare.
Compare Pet Insurance Providers in Alabama
Here’s a quick comparison of the top pet insurance providers inside Alabama:
*Each provider’s monthly cost is based on accident-and-illness policy quotes we obtained for a 4-year-old, medium-size, mixed-breed dog in Montgomery, Ala.
Types of Pet Insurance Plans
There are two main types of pet insurance policies — accident-and-illness plus accident-only. Many providers also offer a wellness plan as an add-on. Here are some additional details about each plan:
- Accident-and-illness: For the majority of comprehensive coverage of your pet’s general illnesses, injuries and other conditions (such as congenital, chronic and hereditary), an accident-and-illness plan is your best bet. All pet insurance providers offer this type of plan. While a bit pricier than an accident-only plan, it provides the most inclusive coverage.
- Accident-only: These programs only cover health issues associated with accidents, such as broken bones, toxic ingestions, swallowed objects, lacerations and bite injuries. Accident-only coverage is much cheaper than accident-and-illness but far less comprehensive, since it will not protect anything related to illnesses or even chronic conditions.
- Preventive care add-on: You can add a wellness care package to your standard policy for an additional monthly fee. Preventive care plans cover costs (up to a certain amount) related to routine care, such as wellness check-ups, vaccinations, blood tests, flea and tick prevention, and much more. Wellness plans are available through many top providers like Lemonade , Take hold of , ASPCA and Spot .
When researching policies, familiarize yourself with the following terms: annual protection limit, reimbursement rate plus deductible. Your annual insurance coverage limit is the total amount your insurance provider will pay out in claims per year. Your reimbursement rate (or level) is the percentage of a veterinary bill your provider covers (e. g., with an 80% reimbursement rate and a $200 vet bill, the provider will reimburse $160). Finally, your deductible is the quantity you will have to pay before your provider begins reimbursing you.
How To Choose the Right Pet Insurance Provider in Alabama
Deciding on a provider for dog or cat insurance can be overwhelming. Before you officially enroll your pet, consider the following factors:
- Coverage limits: As mentioned above, your policy’s coverage limit is the total amount your own provider will reimburse a person for filed claims in one year. There are some companies with no coverage limits, including Spot , Trupanion , Fetch and Healthy Paws . An unlimited insurance cap guarantees that pet owners will never pay more than their own copay and deductible.
- Customization: You can customize your pet insurance policy by adjusting your deductible, coverage limit and reimbursement rate. Some providers have set rates, but others offer the flexibility to adjust these numbers and modify your monthly premium.
- Plan type: Typically, you can choose between an accident-and-illness or an accident-only policy. While many providers only offer a good accident-and-illness plan, an accident-only policy is helpful if you’re on a budget and only want protection for your pet’s unexpected injuries. In this instance, focus your search on Spot and ASPCA .
- Preventive care coverage: If you want to add a wellness treatment package to your plan, you are able to remove the providers that do not offer this feature from your list. Wellness or program care vet visits are usually vital to your pet’s health care. “This will allow you to detect situations at an early onset making many of them easier to successfully treat, ” says Dr . Paola Cuevas, pet expert and veterinarian.
- The fine print: Before signing on the dotted line, read the fine print. As every furry friend insurance plan comes with its own rules for exclusions, waiting intervals and available discounts, make sure you select a provider and program that meets your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions About Alabama Pet Insurance
Methodology: Our System for Ranking the Best Dog Insurance Companies
Our review of pet insurance companies is based on in-depth industry study that includes reading hundreds of customer reviews, simulating the quotation and purchasing process, speaking to representatives on the phone in order to assess the customer service experience plus surveying 1, 000 dog and cat owners nationwide to determine the most important elements of pet insurance coverage. We have scored each provider on a 100-point scale based on those elements.
Here are more details about each factor and how they’re weighted:
- Monthly pricing (25 points): How much each company charges for its pet insurance plans is an important part of a customer’s decision. The best pet insurance providers combine comprehensive coverage and plan options with affordable rates.
- Plans (15 points): The top pet insurance companies offer accident and illness plans, accident-only plans and wellness or even preventive care add-ons to give customers the option to choose a plan that’s best for their dog.
- Covered treatments (15 points): With this factor, we scored companies based on the treatments and procedures they cover. Companies with a breadth of included remedies and unique coverages received more points than companies with more standard or general policies.
- Customization options (10 points): Customizing your policy is a valuable way to ensure you only pay for what your pet needs. Providers with more annual-limit, insurance deductible and reimbursement-rate options earned the highest scores.
- Customer care (10 points): We scored companies on their website accessibility and overall usability, customer service availability, mobile apps (if any), money-back guarantees and veterinarian telehealth options, awarding points to the insurers with more customer experience offerings.
- Industry reputation (10 points): To determine each company’s industry reputation, we reviewed up-to-date ratings and accreditation information from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) plus scored companies on their years of experience in the industry and their particular state availability.
- Waiting periods (10 points): Companies with shorter accident, illness and orthopedic waiting periods between the sign-up and coverage start date scored higher than companies along with longer waiting periods.
- Eligible age (5 points): Some businesses don’t offer policies pertaining to pets that are over a certain age. We deducted points from providers that have age limits for covered pets.
We use our rating system to compare and contrast each company against key factors to help us determine the best pet insurance firms in the industry. Additionally , we keep our research up to date plus revisit our reviews on a regular basis.