7 Best Pet Insurance Companies in Illinois (2022) – MarketWatch
From Chicago to Springfield, pet owners in Illinois could benefit from a pet health insurance policy to protect their pets and their wallets. If you live in the Prairie State , you have more than a dozen pet insurance providers to choose from.
We at the Home Media reviews team have narrowed down your options to the best pet insurance companies in Illinois so you can make an informed decision. We’ve reviewed the top pet insurance companies nationwide based on their rates, plans and customer reviews. Read on to compare quotes and see what each company has to offer.
Illinois’ Top 7 Pet Insurance Companies
Based on our extensive research, these are the seven best pet insurance firms within The state of illinois :
- Consistently offers competitive rates
- Offers a routine care plan for puppies and kittens
- Has a discount for bundling with a homeowners insurance or renters plan
Lemonade is currently at the center of a class-action lawsuit regarding its alleged biometric data storage during the claims process. However , we still regard Lemonade as a trustworthy provider with solid customer satisfaction ratings, an easy user experience plus affordable pet insurance policies .
Coverage: Lemonade has a few coverage options . Lemonade ’s accident-and-illness policy covers veterinary bills for injuries, including cuts, broken bones and bite wounds, and illnesses such as arthritis and cancer. Covered costs include emergency care, diagnostics and procedures. The plan doesn’t apply to behavioral therapy, preexisting conditions , breeding costs or elective procedures.
Lemonade also has wellness care packages with regard to program care costs, puppy and kitten plans and physical therapy coverage.
We got quotes for 4-year-old, mixed-breed dogs and cats in Chicago using different deductibles , coverage caps and reimbursement amounts:
- Dogs: $14–$35 per month
- Cats: $12–$21 per month
Get a quote: Use Lemonade ’s online quote tool to get a tailored quote plus enroll in coverage.
To learn more: Lemonade pet insurance review
- Lets you choose from seven coverage limits
- Has a 30-day money-back guarantee
Reimburses exam fees , which many providers exclude from coverage
Coverage: Spot offers four separate plans. Its accident-only plan provides affordable coverage for cuts, bite wounds and other injuries. The accident-and-illness plan extends coverage to also include illnesses, including heart disease and allergies.
Spot’s Gold preventive package provides $250 of annual protection for routine care, such as dental cleanings and checkups . The particular Platinum plan increases these benefits to $450 per year.
Spot excludes preexisting conditions , cosmetic or optional procedures and breeding or pregnancy-related costs from its insurance coverage.
We got a range of estimates from Spot for 4-year-old, mixed-breed dogs and cats in Chicago using numerous insurance limits:
- Dogs: $17–$138 each month
- Cats: $9–$88 per month
Get a quote: To see what rates you can expect from Spot, get a quote on Spot’s website .
To learn more: Spot pet insurance coverage review
Coverage: Trupanion offers one accident-and-illness plan with two optional add-ons . The accident-and-illness strategy covers procedures, emergency care and other vet bills for accidents and illnesses.
The first add-on covers alternative therapies, such as chiropractic care plus hydrotherapy. The second supplementary program covers pet boarding fees if you’re hospitalized and can’t care for your pet as well as vacation cancellation coverage in case your pet’s illness prevents you from traveling. It also provides third-party liability coverage if your dog injures someone or damages their property and lost family pet advertisement and reward money.
Trupanion does not cover preexisting conditions , exam fees , preventive care , elective or cosmetic procedures or even breeding expenses.
Here are sample quotes we obtained using different deductibles for 4-year-old, mixed-breed pets in Chicago :
- Dogs: $12–$56 per month
- Cats: $9–$33 monthly
Get a quote: Complete Trupanion’s form for a free customized quote.
Coverage: Fetch’s accident-and-illness plan covers treatments, diagnostics, methods and prescriptions for your pet’s accidents and illnesses. The company does not offer an accident-only plan or wellness care add-on.
Fetch excludes elective and cosmetic procedures, breeding or pregnancy expenses, preexisting conditions and routine care costs from its coverage.
Its accident-and-illness strategy includes coverage for pet boarding costs if you are hospitalized, vacation cancellation fees related to a pet’s accident or illness and advertisement plus reward money if your dog goes missing. It also covers sick visit fees, which most providers exclude.
Take a look at the quotes below regarding 4-year-old, mixed-breed dogs and cats within Chicago , featuring varying coverage amounts and policy limits:
- Dogs: $20–$124 a month
- Cats: $11–$78 per month
Obtain a quote: Customize a Fetch pet insurance policy by getting a quote on Fetch’s website .
To learn more: Fetch pet insurance review
Coverage: Embrace’s accident-and-illness plan offers $5, 000–$30, 000 of annual coverage for the treatment of your pet’s accidents and illnesses, such as fractures, toxic ingestions and skin conditions. It excludes preexisting problems , cosmetic or even elective procedures and vet expenses associated with breeding.
Embrace also offers a Wellness Rewards plan that reimburses your schedule care costs, including grooming, flea and tick prevention and vaccinations . You can choose to add $250, $450 or $650 of annual wellness benefits to your plan.
We gathered quotes for 4-year-old, mixed-breed dogs and cats in Chicago to give you an idea of what Embrace’s policies cost:
- Dogs: $14–$55 per month
- Cats: $9–$33 per month
Get a quote: Fill out Embrace’s quick form for a free pet insurance quote .
To learn more: Embrace pet insurance review
Coverage: Healthy Paws offers one stand-alone accident-and-illness plan. It features limitless coverage for your pet’s specialist care, emergency treatment, diagnostics and surgeries if it is injured or becomes ill. The plan excludes coverage of preexisting circumstances , elective processes, spaying plus neutering and wellbeing treatment. Healthy Paws also doesn’t cover hip dysplasia during the policy’s first year.
Take a look at these test Healthy Paws quotes intended for 4-year-old, mixed-breed dogs and cats in Chi town :
- Dogs: $28–$53 per month
- Cats: $19–$27 per month
Get a quote: Fill out Healthy Paws’ simple online form for a free quotation.
To learn more: Healthy Feet family pet insurance review
Coverage: Figo ’s accident-and- illness coverage is broken down into three plans. Each one reimburses bills for X-rays, prescriptions, surgeries and other essential treatments of covered conditions such as diabetes, broken bones and general sickness.
The Essential plan offers $5, 000 of annual benefits. The Preferred plan extends annual benefits to $10, 500 and the Ultimate plan offers unlimited annual coverage. You can enhance your Figo policy vet exam fee reimbursement plus health and fitness advantages for routine care costs.
Take a look at these types of sample Figo quotes to see what type of rates you can expect. These quotes are for 4-year-old, mixed-breed cats and dogs in Chicago :
- Dogs: $12–$48 per month
- Cats: $8–$35 each month
Get a quote: Fill out the quick quote request for Figo .
Types of Pet Insurance Plans
Pet insurance policy can be broken down into three parts: coverage limit, annual deductible and reimbursement rate . The coverage limit is the maximum amount your provider will pay toward covered claims in one year, while the deductible is the amount you must pay out-of-pocket before coverage kicks in. The reimbursement rate is the percentage of the vet bill your own insurer pays in the event of a claim.
There are three main types of pet insurance coverage :
- Accident-only: This basic coverage can reimburse you if your pet is injured in an accident. For example , it will cover bite wounds, cuts and fractures.
- Accident-and- illness coverage : The most popular type of pet insurance reimburses you for the treatment of your pet’s injuries and conditions which includes cancer, general sickness, congenital situations and more .
- Routine care add-ons : Also called preventive or wellness care, regimen care coverage reimburses costs for treatments aimed at keeping your pet healthy, such as checkups, vaccines, fecal tests and blood work.
How To Choose the Right Pet Insurance Provider
Take these steps to ensure your four-legged friend gets the coverage it needs from a provider you can count on:
- Choose a coverage type: Determine whether you need accident-only, accident-and-illness or even well being care coverage.
- Factor in coverage limits: Consider how much coverage you need plus choose a provider that offers the right amount.
- Consider customization: Adjust protection limits, deductibles and reimbursement rates to see how they impact your monthly premium when you compare quotes.
- Read a sample policy: Check the fine print to ensure you understand a provider’s exclusions , waiting period and eligibility requirements. Many providers share sample guidelines so you can review details before signing up for coverage.
- Evaluate brand reputation: Read customer reviews, check third-party ratings and research the particular company’s background to make sure it’s legit. Our provider reviews can help you weed through these details.
The Bottom Line: Which Is the Best Pet Insurance Company in Illinois?
Based on our extensive research, the best overall pet insurance company in Illinois is Lemonade . Lemonade ’s rates are usually competitive and its simple online tools streamline every step in the process, from comparing quotations to managing your plan.
However , what’s right for one pet owner might not be the best fit for all. Each of the companies we’ve reviewed provides distinct advantages. We recommend you compare quotes through at least three companies to decide which is best for you.
Compare Pet Insurance Providers within Illinois
*We obtained the sample premiums above for an accident-and-illness policy for a 4-year-old, medium-sized, mixed-breed dog in Chicago . Pricing may vary based on your pet’s age , breed and location, so we recommend getting rates directly from companies for the most accurate cost information.
Frequently Asked Questions About IL Dog Insurance
Methodology: Our System for Ranking the Best Pet Insurance Companies
Our review of pet insurance companies is based on in-depth industry research that includes reading hundreds of customer evaluations, simulating the quote and purchasing process, speaking to representatives on the phone to assess the customer service experience and surveying 1, 000 dog and cat owners nationwide to determine the most important elements of dog insurance coverage . We have scored each provider on a 100-point scale based on those elements.
Here are more details about each factor and how they’re weighted:
- Monthly pricing (25 points): How much each company charges for its pet insurance plans is an important part of a customer’s decision. The best pet insurance companies combine comprehensive insurance coverage and plan options with affordable rates.
- Plans (15 points): The top pet insurance providers offer accident-and-illness plans, accident-only programs and wellness or preventive care add-ons to give customers the option to choose a plan that’s best for their pet.
- Covered treatments (15 points): With this factor, we scored companies based on the treatments plus procedures they cover. Companies with a breadth of included treatments and unique coverages received more points than providers with more standard or general policies.
- Customization options (10 points): Customizing your policy is a valuable way to ensure you only pay to get what your pet needs . Providers with more annual-limit, deductible and reimbursement-rate options earned the highest scores.
- Customer care (10 points): All of us scored companies on their web site accessibility and overall usability, customer service availability, mobile apps (if any), money-back guarantees and veterinarian telehealth choices, awarding points to the insurers with more customer experience offerings.
- Industry reputation (10 points): To determine each company’s industry reputation, we reviewed up-to-date ratings and accreditation information from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and scored companies on their years of experience in the industry plus their state availability.
- Waiting periods (10 points): Businesses with shorter accident, sickness and orthopedic waiting periods between the sign-up and coverage start date scored higher than companies along with longer waiting periods .
- Eligible age (5 points): Some companies don’t offer plans for pets that are over a certain age. We deducted points from providers that have age limits for covered pets.
We use our rating system to compare and contrast each organization against key factors to help us determine the best family pet insurance companies in the industry. Additionally , we keep our research up to date and revisit our reviews on a regular basis.